Friday 17 April 2015

Post Apocalypse Reflection



     This whole assignment was like experimenting with one brand new technique. Creating a 3D scene was very different yet satisfying in its own right. I had to use the right colour combinations to portray different types of depths from and by combining this 3D colour combination aspect with other techniques was what made this assignment truly unique; cropping and cutting pictures to make brushes, re-colourizing certain photos, defining brushes, proportion and perspective all felt new and different when I considered how something would look in 3D.
    I went with my original idea of a religious post apocalyptic world but I made some adjustments. What I ended up making was a scene depicting people worshiping an angel statue made of junk in an open destroyed city landscape re-purposed into a place of worship. I made the people in this picture look like they are intensely praying, I purposely decided to leave their intentions a bit vague and left to interpretation. There were a few things I added to the scene that I had not originally intended to add such as the wolves and locust which I added since locust were part of the plagues and wolves are considered beasts of the land. Originally I intended to make an indoor scene in a church, but I thought that portraying a makeshift place of worship would better reinforce the post apocalyptic nature,
    There weren't any particular artists that influenced me on this project but I can say that I was influenced by some other things. I mainly drew inspiration from the bible, more specifically Exodus with the plagues and Revelations with the apocalypse. I thought it would be neat to have an apocalypse based on principles of divine retribution and what the aftereffects would be.
    I balanced the composition in a few different ways. One thing I did was that I put images around the edges and spiraled them into the middle and back around, making the focus the worshipers as well as providing a better sense of depth by making the picture have a sort of 3D "window" to look into.
    My motivation for this work was to play with the idea of  divine retribution and what would happen after. I wanted to try and find the uncomfortable aspect that people have with religion and incorporate it into the scene. I wanted to explore the idea of what people would do knowing that there could be an angry god that is punishing them-would they repent and vehemently pray for salvation? Or would they disregard and fight back?
    The element that I feel are the most successful part of this project would have to be the people praying to the makeshift angel statue, which I feel most accurately portray how this post apocalyptic society acts and functions. I also really liked how the locust turned out and how much they pop out with the 3D glasses. There was not really any part of the process that surprised me, but I guess that looking at the scene with the 3D glasses each time was a different surprise on its own. If I had time to change anything I would want to clean up edges and smooth out some things, but I would mostly like to experiment with the 3D and find a way to make a better 3D effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment