Friday 13 March 2015

Post Apocalyptic World Brainstorming



A) I think that there could be a lot of potential things that could lead to the end of the world such as a nuclear war or an asteroid, but my favourite possibility would be divine retribution that entails angry gods or just God. I think that divine retribution could have an interesting effect on the physical environment; things could simply be destroyed or the natural order of things would be totally disrupted like statues bleeding, rivers running backwards,reverse gravity, famine,odd weather, voids of nothing appearing, poisonous water, or even things just downright missing from the world altogether.

B) I would like to show people confused and scared while vehemently trying to repent to a God that abandoned them. The people of this tragedy would probably break into different groups such as people who want to fight back against God,  people who support and are fanatical about God, and people trying to survive and rebuild society. The world that has been rebuilt from this catastrophe would be very fragile with many people arguing over conflicting views and how to live in a way that God won't smite them for, so depending on where, people could live with nature while worshiping a God in fear in a landscape riddled with religious iconography and nature, or the opposite with crudely put together technology and architecture from our age that is considered blasphemous to the society now.

C) 10 things that I would think would survive the disaster would be:
1.Sacred Iconography
2.Buildings of Worship
3.Insects (such as locust)
4.Beasts of the land (wolves, lions,etc.)
5.Fish
6.Religious texts
7.Ancient artifacts
8. Water
9. Vegetation (certain vegetables would turn poisonous though)
10.Sources of Light

The reasons I think that these things would survive the disaster is because these things don't have a reason to be removed by a God, why would a God get rid of things designed for it? I also included things that are reminded of heavenly retribution such as locust. I also think that anything natural would survive since it in itself is "pure", although things made out of natural materials would probably survive such as wood and dirt. Light is a in here because in my setting the sky is bright white and there is constant light leaving to the disappearance of the night and to be extra vengeful anything man-made to create light survived too.

D) Something that could serve as hope in my picture could be a sign that a benevolent and kind God actually exists and the vengeful God doesn't actually exist but only in the minds of the people. I want to show that the society would get better if all the people would get together and work for it. I think I could represent hope with a seedling, two sides coming together in unity, or a heavenly hand trying to help the people.

E) I think that their art is pretty neat and slightly chilling but hopeful at the same time. I really liked the simplicity and the portrayal of a future that could be harsh but people are trying to build things and move forwards. I think that what makes their art appealing to people is that they're art is simple yet complicated while showing unique ingenuity of modern day things. I think people enjoy seeing what their things could be re-purposed into in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment